Interdenominational Theological Center in Atlanta

Interdenominational Theological Center (ITC) is an Ecumenical association of six Protestant seminaries in Atlanta. The predominantly African American member institutions provide graduate and professional level theological education. Their mission is to train pastors, church leaders, and teachers committed to serving the church and the community. ITC members represent six different denominations.

The ITC was founded in 1958 after four seminaries came together. Original member institutions were Gammon Theological Seminary, Turner Theological Seminary, Phillips School of Theology, and Morehouse School of Religion, which recently became Baptist School of Theology. Johnson C. Smith Theological Seminary and Charles H. Mason Theological Seminary later joined ITC. Absalom Jones Theological Institution was also a member school at one time, but closed its program in 1979.

Degree programs offered at ITC by its member seminaries are Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Christian Education, Master of Arts in Church Music, Doctor of Ministry, and Doctor of Theology. There are also dual degree programs. Part of ITC’s vision is to be a resource bringing together leaders from the church, academia, businesses, nonprofits, governments, and communities to develop solutions to the social and moral challenges facing our nation today.

A look at the history of ITC’s member seminaries reveals several institutions dating back to the post Civil War era. Gammon Theological Seminary was founded in 1883 as a part of Clark College in Atlanta. It is affiliated with the United Methodist Church, and Dr. Albert Mosley is President/Dean. Turner Theological Seminary was founded as a department of Morris Brown College in 1894. It is affiliated with the African Methodist Episcopal Church, and Dr. John F. Green is the President/Dean. Johnson C. Smith Theological Seminary is a Presbyterian Church (USA) seminary. It roots extend back to 1867 and the Freedman’s College of North Carolina. The seminary joined ITC in 1969, when it relocated from Charlotte. Paul T. Roberts, Sr. is the President/Dean. Baptist School of Theology, formerly Morehouse School of Religion, is associated with multiple Baptist groups. G. Martin Young is the President/Dean. Phillips School of Theology was founded at Lane College in Jackson, Tennessee in 1944. It is a seminary of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. The school moved to Atlanta in 1959. Dr. Marvin Frank Thomas, Sr. is President/Dean. Charles H. Mason Theological Seminary was founded in 1970 by the Church of God in Christ. Dr. Harold Bennett is President/Dean of the seminary.

ITC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award master and doctorate degrees. In addition, it is accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). ITC is located on ten acres in the middle of the Atlanta University Center campus, at 700 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive SW.